Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Botanical @ Domain Rd, South Yarra

This is not our first visit to this restaurant. In fact, it is probably our 5th or 6th visit! This is Joe's favourite place for fresh oysters....unfortunately I do not share the same view as him because I do not like oysters....especially raw oysters. Oysters smell fishy.

Entree:
Twelve hand selected A grade oysters from Australia's premium growing regions


Main course:
Woodroasred Calabrina style snapper with a shellfish stew, trofie pasta, seaweed, tomatoes, fennel and chilli (for 2 persons, or for one if requested)


Dessert:
Chocolate & sherry crème brulee with warm cinnamon churros

You should've seen Joe's facial expression when he devoured each and every one of the oysters...while sipping on his chardonnay. I stared on...unable to believe how oysters can make a grown up man smile to himself with his eyes closed while eating it. Poor oyster!!! There was a BAD oyster among the platter that night....so maybe we should've complained!!!!
Main was more like the Spanish paella. I didn't quite like it. The taste was just 'normal' nothing special.....maybe I was expecting more. Also, the prawn that I had was a bit 'powdery'...another sign that things are not looking very fresh in the kitchen. The shellfish was sweet though.....

I would have to say that the dessert was the best out of everything we tried that night. The creme brulee was hiding underneath all the froth in the espresso cup and it made the warm cinnamon churros taste even better when dipped into it. Total satisfaction guarenteed.

Verdict: 6/10
If it wasn't for the dessert, I would be one grumpy diner. Joe was happy no matter what cos he had his oysters. I never liked this restaurant that much.......cos the food is NOT THAT GREAT. Steak is better here....so maybe steak for the boys next time. Not me.

No comments: